Friday, January 28, 2011

How the Family of Five Has Come to Be!!!

We have been truly blessed with the most two beautiful children.  We love them so much.  I thank the Lord for these children that He has given us out of His unconditional love, just as He's providing every step of the way for us to get our little Noelle in the coming months.  Please read our story of how we felt called to adopt.

Our first child was our son, who came a few weeks late which made him a large baby.  I was originally scheduled for an induction; however, he decided he wanted to come sooner.  My water broke and we ended up going to the hospital early that morning.  I labored for over 24 hours and our son’s heart rate was starting to slow down, the doctor decided to perform a c-section.  Thank goodness!  He was born and weighed a whopping 10 lbs., 5 oz. and was 21 ½” long, big baby!!  With all the excitement and nervousness amongst us, I only remember hearing the nurses making the comment that he had “tree trunks for legs”, too funny!  He was healthy and a wonderful addition to our new family!


Upon the birth of our second child (daughter) we had a planned c-section a few weeks earlier than my original due date, suspecting that she might be a big baby too!  Thank the Lord that the doctors had the wisdom to have them arrange the earlier c-section.  I had a very uneventful pregnancy; everything actually went very smoothly for us.  We went to the hospital early in the morning to welcome our precious baby girl into our family.  The doctors started with the surgery and when she came out she was bruising before our eyes--so scary!  I just remember my husband rushing over with the nurses and whisking off with her to the NICU; talk about scared out of my mind!  Here I was lying on the operating table, not having the slightest clue as to what was going on.  I was in recovery, I was so anxious to hear something…  My husband was finally able to come back and sit with me for awhile and try to explain what was going on.  At that point, he really didn’t know for sure.  Before I was to go to my room, the nurse wheeled my whole bed into the NICU so that I could get a peek of my baby girl.  She laid there all black and blue hooked up to all kinds of machines, at that moment I thought we might lose her!  It was so hard to not know what was going on, I’m sure the doctors were frustrated as well.  We had an awesome group of doctors and nurses in the NICU.  I remember one evening, I was getting a little teary eyed – (yes, back then I was still able to cry) the nurse came in with a Polaroid picture of her for me to have in my room to look at during my stay at the hospital.  I went down to the NICU quite frequently, I should have just moved by bed there and I would have been content.  Some days, we thought she was getting better, and then something else made it not be so good.  I had to leave her in the hospital upon my discharge, I had my precious little son waiting for his Mommy and Daddy at home--but I also wanted to be with my baby girl.  I was so torn and heartbroken.  After about a 2 week stay at the birth hospital, she was transferred to the Children’s Hospital NICU for another week.  Thankfully, her body was working all her problems out with the help of some platelet and blood transfusions.  Finally, she was able to come home!  I knew that she would get better once we got her home, nothing is better than a “Mommy’s TLC”.  We had several follow up appointments with a Hematologist to keep an eye on all her CBC (Complete Blood Count), and were given the green light of being healthy!  Praise God!  I do have to share that this experience of having a child and not knowing if they are going to make it really makes you put your faith in our Gracious Heavenly Father.  We went to church, but we were not really connected with others and felt as If we were lost in the shuffle.  I told my husband at the hospital that we need to get involved in an ABF (Adult Bible Fellowship) class so that we have some sort of support system.  We had an awesome support from our families, but it was sad not to have any friends visit or seem concerned or supportive.  I think this experience really strengthened our marriage and our focus on trusting God!


Here’s a picture of our daughter on one of her better days during her hospital stay. She weighed 8 lbs., 1 oz., 21 in long and a full set of black hair!


How we decided on adoption...  Here's the call we heard.


Deep down I always wanted another child, but was petrified that we would have to go through this whole ordeal again.  We would talk about having another child and my husband was completely done.  He said we had a healthy boy and girl, our family was complete.  I submitted to my husband’s wishes, but deep down I prayed that some day we would have another child.  God answersed my prayers!  We felt called during church while we listened to a sermon about “Adopting”.  We heard the statistics and of course, my heart was aching as I would have given anything to love an orphan unconditionally just as I have with our two children already.  To my amazement, we were on our ride home from church and my husband turned to me in the car and stated that “Let's start looking into adoption!”  Wow, I was in pure shock and thought is this the same husband I married and what had happened to him? I was so excited, but didn’t want to get too excited, you know what I mean.  Of course, his blessing gave me the excuse to do more research and gathering of information.  We had some couples over from our church that been through the adoption journey to learn from their personal experiences.  We’ve prayed about it and thought long and hard and decided to open our hearts to an orphaned child.


We felt called to adopt from China. We know that there is a special little girl waiting for us halfway across the world.  With patience, trust, and prayers, we will soon meet!

Our Little Pumpkin - Look at that precious face!!

So we are anxiously awaiting to bring home our precious little angel and make her a part of our forever family.  Please know that adoption is not the calling for every family, but we believe that while we can't help all that are orphaned in the world (143 million), we can make world of difference for one!  She will be loved unconditionally and welcomed into this family with arms open wide, just as Jesus welcomes us all in His arms - unconditionally!

During this process we have met two wonderful ladies that happened to have been at our daughter's orphanage back in 2009 and again in 2010.  We have been provided with numerous pictures of her during their visits.  We are so grateful for all of these little treasures!  It has given us encouragement to look at that precious face and gets us from day to day during all the waiting.  Many have told us that this little girl is fortunate to have a wonderful family and she'll be blessed but we already feel that she's blessed us and we have yet to meet her.

Please keep praying for all of the orphans out there that need a forever home, your family may be the next that God calls to open your heart to one of these children of His to call your own--and you will be truly blessed!

1 comment:

  1. What a precious story. What a precious face. Can't wait to see her in your family. Praying her home. Leslie

    ReplyDelete